How do I Manually Convert Exchange Server Database to PST? Step-by-Step Instructions
The Exchange Server database uses the EDB file format to store all of its directory, mail, and public folder information. All user mailbox data elements, such as emails, calendars, attachments, tasks, notes, and journals, are stored in this file.
The EDB file stores all communication in the organization where Exchange Server is installed. PST is also a Microsoft Outlook file format that stores a user’s mailboxes on the client’s computer. MS Outlook can be used as a stand-alone program or in conjunction with Exchange Server.
What are the Benefits of Converting EDB to PST?
We’ve listed some of the reasons why users might need to convert EDB to PST format below:
- EDB to PST conversion is required if users want to increase the performance of the Exchange Server by lowering the size of mailboxes.
- If the mailboxes can’t be accessible because the Exchange Server is down for maintenance, the data stored in the PST file is a better option for data access.
- Users must convert EDB to PST when the Exchange Server takes a long time to reply or fails to complete any task.
- Users will want EDB to PST conversion if the organization is transferring its Exchange Server.
- When moving Exchange data from one location to another, users will need to convert EDB to PST.
Another factor that causes customers to convert their data from Exchange EDB to PST format is that EDB files are prone to corruption. The corruption is caused by:
Logical corruption is caused by corrupted or missing database bits, memory corruption, engine failure, and other factors. It also happens in mailboxes, attachments, folders, and emails at the application level.
Physical Corruption– When all databases are corrupted and the hard drive is corrupted, this sort of corruption happens.
Every day, the problem worsens, yet users have no idea how to convert EDB to PST. We have covered both the manual and finest third-party solutions to convert EDB to PST file format in this post to make people aware of the finest Exchange EDB to PST conversion option so that users may make all Exchange databases accessible in new Outlook files.
How can I Manually Convert Exchange Server Database to PST in Multiple Exchange Server versions?
Users can convert the exchange server database to PST using a variety of approaches depending on Exchange Server versions. We’ll go through each one in detail in the next section for a better understanding. Before we go any further, let’s look at the three manual techniques for converting EDB to PST:
- Using the Ex-Merge Utility to export
- Using the Exchange Admin Center to export
- Exchange PowerShell (Exchange Management Shell) commands are used to export data.
These manual methods are all free, but they do have some drawbacks. As a result, before using these solutions, people must be patient and educate themselves about the potential risks. Users will, however, be given individual explanations for each solution.
Method 1: Use the Ex-Merge Utility to export.
EDB mailboxes can be exported to PST files and PST mailboxes may be imported to EDB files using Microsoft’s free software. The utility is available for download here. The most important need is that all Exchange mailboxes have complete export rights.
The following are the limitations of the Ex-Merge Utility method:
There is a significant chance of data loss during the process.
Only 2GB of data can be exported.
This solution is mainly compatible with older Exchange versions.
Converting Exchange Server Database to PST is a lengthy and time-consuming operation.
Ex-Merge is software that you can download and use. To begin, click Next.
Select the second Two-Step Procedure radio button and click ‘Next’ under Procedure Selection.
Now click Next after selecting the first option, Extract data from Exchange Server Mailbox.
Provide your Exchange Server credentials, such as name, domain name, and so on, in the Source Server window, and then click Next to continue.
- Switch to the Import tab in the Data Selection Criteria and check the option Archive data to the target store. Click the OK button.
- Select the EDB mailboxes for export in the next window, then click Next.
- Provide the destination path for the PST file at the system located in the Target Directory section. To begin the export process, click Next.
- You can monitor how far the export process has progressed. To exit the process, click Finish once it’s finished.
- As a result, the EDB to PST conversion is complete.
Method 2: Use the Exchange Admin Center to export.
There is another option to export EDB mailboxes from the most recent Exchange Server versions to PST. Users must provide a shared folder for export. And export rights for EDB mailboxes must be assigned, according to the Exchange Management Center.
Permissions Administrator Roles Recipient Management is where the user can assign permissions. After that, give the mailboxes the Mailbox Import and Export role.
This approach isn’t compatible with older Exchange versions.
If people use this approach to convert EDB to PST, they must have a high level of technical understanding.
During the process, there is a significant chance of data loss.
When dealing with corrupt EDB mailboxes, this manual method fails.
- On your computer, go to > Exchange Admin Center.
- After that, keep an eye on the mailboxes of the recipients.
- Select the desired mailbox for export from the list of mailboxes.
- Select Export to PST from the context menu by right-clicking on it.
- Export to a PST file The file window appears. Using the search option, you can add or change EDB mailboxes.
- Select an export option from the drop-down menu. To continue, click Next.
- Then, to save the PST file, navigate and add the shared folder location. Then press the Next button.
- You can add any mailbox to receive notifications for the export process in the last phase.
- Click Finish after you’ve added the mailbox.
- After the export is complete, the mailbox is successfully relocated to this shared folder.
Method 3: Using Exchange Management Shell commands to export
It is one of the most advanced methods for converting Exchange server database to PST mailbox data. This approach is compatible with Exchange 2007 and later editions. If users want to use it, they must first create a shared PST folder. And then assign the Mailbox Import and Export responsibilities to the mailboxes that will be exported.
The conversion process necessitates a high level of technical skill.
This is a time-consuming operation if you have thousands of files.
If you utilize the manual conversion approach, it will not function with damaged EDB mailboxes.
- To export the EDB mailbox to the PST destination, run this cmdlet in your Exchange Management Shell window (with administrative access).
- “target file path>” New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox -FilePath
- In the mailbox field, type your EDB mailbox name, and in the place of, type the path to the shared folder.
- If the correct command was used, the export would be quick.
- If the correct command was used, the export would be quick.
So now you know how to export EDB to PST manually using three distinct techniques. We hope you find this material useful. Even after attempting these ways, you find that they are unsatisfying, or you run into complications owing to their restrictions. For a quick and efficient EDB export, you can use EDB to PST Converter, an automated solution. The best thing about this program is that it doesn’t have any of the aforementioned constraints. And it works with all Exchange Server and Outlook versions.
The following are some of the advantages of using the EDB Converter tool:
- In only a few minutes, you may convert your Exchange EDB Mailbox to PST format.
- Exchange Public and Private Folders can convert to PST format.
- Before converting to PST file format, recover corrupt or delete Exchange Server mailboxes.
- Repair a corrupt or inaccessible EDB file professionally.
- EDB mailboxes can directly export to Live Exchange and Office365 without risk of data loss.
- Allows you to see a preview of Exchange EDB mailbox items before converting them to another format.
- Exchange mailboxes can convert to PST, HTML, MSG, MSG Unicode, CAL, vCard, and more formats.
- Free demo software to assess product accuracy and quality; additionally, free storage of 30 emails/folders.